Telehealth Physiotherapy for Balance and Dizziness
We are pleased to announce that we are now offering telehealth virtual physiotherapy appointments. Telehealth visits can be direct billed to your secondary health plan (Bluecross, Canada Life etc), the same as an in-clinic visit. The appointment is a one-to-one video conference with your physiotherapist and will consist of:
- Subjective history of your current problem
- Observation of movement and balance
- Neurological testing, including eye motion
- Positional testing for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
Through the exam we will:
- Determine a likely diagnosis
- Educate regarding the management of your dizziness and imbalance
- Prescribe a home exercise program for balance and dizziness
- Go through self-repositioning techniques for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
Prior to the appointment, you will receive an email that will allow you to connect to your physiotherapist. There are a few things to do before the appointment.
- Make sure you have a device with a webcam, (smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer that has a webcam)
- You will need a Zoom account for the call. There is a link to install this program in the email that you will be sent. It is recommended that you do this step well before the appointment to save time. Should you have concerns about using Zoom, alternative arrangements can be made using FaceTime, if you use Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) or with Skype.
- We use the Embodia health program to schedule and access the telehealth appointments and to keep your health information secure. The email will also contain instructions (with a username and password) to sign up for Embodia. You will only have to do this step once. The fact that the appointments are scheduled and accessed through Embodia, helps reduce any potential security concerns with Zoom.
Click on the visit date and it will give you the option to “Review consent form”. Read the consent form and if you consent, click on “Yes, I give my consent”.
Preparing for the telehealth appointment.
- Click on the “Join the consult” button in the email that you were sent. This will take you to the Embodia sign in page, where you will use the username and password provided. It will then prompt you to change your password to something of your choosing, to keep your information secure.
- Once logged into Embodia, you should see options on the left side of the screen. Click on “Telerehab” to view your upcoming appointments.
You are now ready for your appointment and can click on “Join consult” when it is time for your appointment.